Thumbs Up

Created by cuj on 27 Apr 2016 21:41

cuj on 24 May 2016 08:11

Second session out yesterday. Watch for the fuckups tongue-out

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 24 May 2016 08:22

Private video mate, and the last thing I want to see is a video of your privates. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

cuj on 24 May 2016 08:59

Should be public.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 24 May 2016 09:04

Nice. Have you gone straight on at the end of the back straight yet? That corner can really creep up on you if you're not careful. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

cuj on 24 May 2016 09:26

No not once, was braking well in time. Oggies I found a real challenge all day (speed/line) and the hairpins I reckon I rarely got a good combo of speed/line.

The rest of the circuit is pretty straightforward once you've learned it. I want to go a lot smoother next time.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 24 May 2016 10:13

It's the last bit from the bumhole back to the start which gets me, I have absolutely no idea where to be at any point. That's always a bit of a nothing for me. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

cuj on 24 May 2016 11:20

Interesting, I didn't have any worries with that one. Tried to take the bombhole apex tight, drift out to edge of circuit (the racing line heads that way anyway) then gradually cut across track to take Coram as tight as poss on the right before braking and turning into the tight left at Murrays.

I did find I was overtaking a lot of people around bomb hole/coram, just have to crank it over and stay on the gas I found.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Stevieput on 25 May 2016 06:34

It certainly gets to 150mph pretty quickly in places Jon. Does it seem much much quicker? I doubt you'll get much more than 155mph now though which is plenty fast enough!

I noticed  you didn't hit many apex's in the corners. I don't know if riding a bike on track is different to driving a car, but there were cones set out to show you your turn in, apex and exit points. Hitting these would make you quicker down the next sectoin. Something to work on ;-)

Also, have you tried blipping the throttle on your down changes? It'd make it a lot smoother, put less stress on your bike and probably most importantly, is not likely to lock up your back wheel :)

Stevieput

Not-so Noob (85)

Owain on 25 May 2016 07:13

But that sounds like it'd improve his riding, and that's not how we get crash videos ;)

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

Stevieput on 25 May 2016 08:37

Why would you want him to fall off?? 

Stevieput

Not-so Noob (85)

Owain on 25 May 2016 08:39

I don't really. Although I'll never forgive myself for not having my camera running when I did. 

Certainly those cones are really handy though, they don't always have them out and it's a pain in the arse when you're learning a track. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

Stevieput on 25 May 2016 08:55

I've not been on a track day with cones out TBH but I've followed friends closely on track and used their lines, which were different to what I *thought* were right. I found the correct lines felt more natural and therefore faster.

A good example is clearways/Clark curve at brands (corner before start and finish straight) Using the correct line, and getting it right, makes a big difference. Do it correctly and you're a good 5-10mph faster into the braking zone for Paddock. In my car it usually means I'm changing to 5th and doing 120mph ish. If I've not got out of clearways well I don't have to change up at all. 

I guess my point is, using the right lines, including hitting the apex right, contributes hugely to track times. It doesn't necessarily make it more fun but it's ultimately more satisfying and makes you feel like a pro :lol 

Stevieput

Not-so Noob (85)

Owain on 25 May 2016 08:56

Oh absolutely. When you first start it feels like braking and screeching means you're going fast, when actually it's the opposite. It's the slow-looking composed laps where you get the lines right which will be your fastest by a long way. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

1 - 5 + 5

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2022