You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Snetterton 300

Thumbs Up

Created by cuj on 27 Apr 2016 21:41

AndyJ on 06 May 2016 12:48

Most definitely. My chicken strips are pretty wide yet I've nearly had my knee down a few times on the road and I'm not massively hanging off the bike. Always looks odd to me when you see photos of people with their knee down and the bikes almost stood up right. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 06 May 2016 15:55

But that's the thing, the whole point of your knee being down is that you're keeping the bike as upright as possible, so it's got the most grip. 

While shredding the tyres to the edges is good fun, you're more likely to low side the bike as you don't have do much tyre on the tarmac. 

So hanging off means you DON'T have to lean it so much. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

cuj on 06 May 2016 16:40

Body position doesn't look too bad if I'm honest. Will definitely be aiming for knee down on Wednesday...

CBR600RR

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

cuj on 06 May 2016 16:47

Few more pics in here if interested - http://www.peterwilemanphotography.com/main/index/gallery/trackday/2016/may/040516brands/novice/nr/start/32

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 06 May 2016 17:50

Obviously I'm no instructor, but it looks like you're not hanging off the bike in the slightest. Your head should be trying to kiss the mirror, but at the moment your upper body is more or less central to the bike when you're cornering, it's called being crossed up. 

Get one of the instructors to take you out and show you. You'll be dragging your knee by accident after a couple of laps if you do, and the bike will be more upright which means you can accelerate sooner without so much risk of a high side. 

Disclaimer: I'm shit 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

cuj on 06 May 2016 19:09

Yeah I can see what you're saying. I hang half an arse out but I'm not moving my upper body as I should, like you say looking down the line of the mirror. Something to work on next week!

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 06 May 2016 19:34

Definitely, hang an arse cheek off and set yourself up like you're trying to push the bike away from you, then stick your knee out. 

Bear in mind though if you try to get your knee down you'll risk crashing, what you need to do is to improve your cornering and body position and the knee will just happen and you'll shit your pants. 

That's what happened for me anyway. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 06 May 2016 20:09

Owian, I understand that the reason you hang off is to keep the bike upright: the more it's upright, the more surface area of the tyre  is in contact with the road. What I mean is, when you see people not even pushing the bike anywhere near its limit, but hanging off "just" to get their knee down. Sometimes there's no need. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 07 May 2016 06:52

Yeah definitely. Trying to get a knee down is just asking for a crash, it should be a side effect of good cornering and nothing more. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

cuj on 07 May 2016 11:02

There's plenty of tips online about cornering and BP, I reckon this one is probably the best explained - https://rideapart.com/articles/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-motorcycle-body-position-for-sport-riding

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 07 May 2016 13:25

When I was last there I got my knee down, closely followed by my shoulder, bike, then rest of my body. 

So I'm the best. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 07 May 2016 21:06

I don't think it counts unless you're still on your bike. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 08 May 2016 06:50

Of course it counts, I got so low I had to glue my leathers back together. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 08 May 2016 18:18

I think that's re-enforcing my argument, if anything. 

How you getting on with the trumpet, anyway? Guessing you've managed to put a few miles on it by now? 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

cuj on 09 May 2016 23:10

Well thanks to the assistance of Stevie (Lotus), I now have stainless steel braided HEL brake hoses, RBF 600 brake fluid and some lovely new ASV C5 levers.

Roll on Wednesday 😎

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

1 - 2 + 5

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2022