You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Brands Hatch 5/4

Thumbs Up

Created by cuj on 07 Apr 2016 21:54

cuj on 07 Apr 2016 21:54

Did my first ever bike track day this week, at Brands. Was brilliant, enjoyed every moment of the experience and I'm already looking to book the next one. Was naturally in the novice group, had one session of tuition and met some really top guys. Few pics from the track time.

Next objective is to get my knee down while mastering the hanging off technique, that may take a little while.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

AndyJ on 08 Apr 2016 20:53

You're gonna have to lean your bike over  to get your knee down. Haha. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 09 Apr 2016 09:47

Weeeeeee! Good work matey! I've just had my track bike MOT'd today, I need to get it back on track as I'm an absolute pussy on sports bikes, I just can't get the hang (HA!) of it. Really satisfying when you end up dragging your knee round the bigger bends though. 

I really want to do the California Superbike School, but I've spanked all my money on the house, boo. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

cuj on 09 Apr 2016 14:20

What's the track bike Owain? Yeah Andy I know, I'm still fairly cautious on leaning too much, probably comes with learning to ride at an advanced age 😝

Possibily going to do Brands Hatch GP circuit next. Where are you tracking Owain? I'd do the CSS too but it's pricey I think. 

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 09 Apr 2016 21:56

It's a GSXR 600 K7, still road legal but I put race fairings on it for when I inevitably crash. 

The GP circuit is great fun, but I had a nightmare with my exhaust and the noise test. Need to get a new one made up before I do any track days. Brands is my local, I really like it there. Snetterton is more interesting but further away. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

cuj on 16 Apr 2016 09:55

Yeah I failed the noise test with my Akrapovic exhaust with baffle out. Pretty annoying as a guy I met that day had the same bike and exhaust as me but his bike passed the test without a baffle! I'd had the hindsight to take my baffle along anyway so was all good, I do prefer riding without it in though.

I have gone into full on bike mod mode at the moment, made a fair amount of changes, albeit largely cosmetic.

- R&G rad guard (silver) - R&G bar ends - R&G tail tidy - R&G micro indicators (rear) - R&G rear LED running/brake light - Proton LED flush mount front indicators - Clear Stompgrips - RAM stem mount and X-Grip - Puig racing tinted double bubble screen - K&N air filter

Next up will be stainless steel HEL brake lines, rear brake fluid reservoir delete, ASV shorty brake and clutch levers, suspension set up, adjustable rearsets.

Having decided to now keep the bike, it makes sense to get it set up exactly as I need it. 

I want to do Brands again before the TT in June and potentially Thruxton.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 16 Apr 2016 15:26

Yeah suspension setup is an important one, hoping to sort mine this year. Also need to change the exhaust and then get a remap, I'll just keep burning money for fun. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

cuj on 16 Apr 2016 15:44

Interestingly the guy I met who had the same bike as me (spookily same colour, identical helmet and other weird stuff like he lives 5 mins away!) had his suspension set up recently at Brands, so I've now got his settings and just need to do the same on mine, as we are a similar weight/height. From what I understand, and it's perfectly logical, you can get the bike to turn in a lot easier once it's all set up correctly.

What pipe are you thinking of?

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 17 Apr 2016 11:08

Yeah suspension makes far more of a difference than people expect, I think at some point I'm going to just have to book up a midweek Brands session and get it sorted, accepting that it's not going to be the most interesting trackday.

I'm getting a custom pipe made up, I have an Arrow one at the moment and it barely scrapes the noise tests, which I really can't be arsed with. Gonna get something significantly quieter so it's one less thing to worry about. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 1

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020