You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Road bike only day - Oulton Park 5th August

Thumbs Up

Created by Owain on 05 May 2015 08:40

Owain on 05 May 2015 08:40

This is aimed squarely at you Andy, but obviously anyone is welcome - you up for it? It'll book up quick so quit being a girl. 

You know you want to

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 05 May 2015 12:52

Very tempting, but I've exhausted my funds for the next few months, so doubt I'll be able to book. 

Are you booiing up, owain?

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

AndyJ on 05 May 2015 12:53

oWain, even. . . 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 05 May 2015 12:57

Not unless you do, it's a bit of a drive for me but it convinced you to finally get off your lazy arse and get on track I'd come along to keep you company. Plus it's actually *more* work for me to put the bike back to road mode. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 05 May 2015 14:37

I really can't justify it at the moment, although that's the sort I'd like to do as a first one. 

I've got to get mine looked at. The front fairing had been wobbling around a bit, since I chucked it on the floor. Hmmm. . . 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 05 May 2015 16:19

Cable ties

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 05 May 2015 16:46

May have to be. Just have to have a quick look see what the problem is. 

I was thinking about next upgrades. What have you done to yours, owain? 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 05 May 2015 16:54

The fairings are held on by a few screws at the front, and some push-fit plastic/rubber things down the sides - if you know how to wield a spanner you could totally remove the front fairings in less than an hour and see if anything's broken. 

The stock brakes are terrible, as I found out the other day. The standard upgrade is to swap out the master cylinder (basically the lever and all its gubbins) for a Brembo RCS master cylinder. The Brembo gives you far more feel and bite on the brakes, and has the benefit of having a shorter lever which will fold up out the way if you drop the bike rather than snapping. You can pick them up for £206 on eBay; I know this because I ordered one this morning. 

Also got new Brembo road/track pads coming. 

Braided lines while you're there for better feel. 

All-in-all, about £400 should totally overhaul the front brakes and make them infinitely better, just be careful you don't go over the handlebars. 

Exhaust you're already doing. If you want weight-saving, you need to buy a full system, which eliminates the heavy cat underneath the bike. 

Frame sliders and crash bobbins are boring as hell to buy and fit but will save your fairings if you drop it (again). 

Have a read up on Power Commanders - they cost ~£300 and it just plugs in between your loom and ECU and changes the map - it comes with a standard map (which levels out any flat spots in the standard map), you can then take it to a tuning place who can properly tune your engine to suit your new exhaust. I've not done this yet, but probably will do at some point - people absolutely swear by them. Remember that the stock maps are designed for good emissions and fuel economy at the 56mph Euro tests, they're not made to be smooth. 

Then just ride the thing and enjoy it. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 05 May 2015 17:02

cheers. I've heard about the power comanders. Will have a read on them.

I don't telly have a problem with the brakes, but then again I guess you notice how bad the stock ones are on the track.

I'm just so busy at work, at the moment, I'm struggling to find time to get out. It's misserable, today, but been so frustrating with the nice weather we've had, the last few weeks. Can wait to get this new can on, though! 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 05 May 2015 17:07

Yeah it's really windy here, had to return my Yamaha panniers and motorway speeds and gale-force gusts are quite something. Quite enjoyed it actually, once you get used to it. 

Tbh the GSXR is a fantastic bike to start with, there's not really much that needs doing in order to enjoy it.

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 1

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020