You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Honda CBR600RR road/track bike build thread (RR8)

Thumbs Up

Created by cuj on 15 May 2016 10:16

cuj on 15 May 2016 10:16

Since I've started making significant changes to my bike, both cosmetic and performance, I thought it would be helpful to log my progress to date more so that I can keep track of everything.

Will update with pics as appropriate.

Akrapovic titanium slip on exhaust

Lightweight Race Gearing Renthal Sprockets (-1/+2) & 520 Gold Tsubaki X-ring chain

K&N air filter

ASV C5 forged fully adjustable clutch lever and shorty brake lever

HEL carbon fibre look stainless steel brake lines (front and rear) with red banjos

HRC rear brake reservoir relocating kit (collecting today)

EBC HH sintered brake pads

Motul RBF 600 brake fluid

HRC quick turn throttle kit (arriving this week)

GB Moto adjustable race rearsets (arriving this week)

GB Moto carbon fibre rear hugger and front mudguard

Puig Racing double bubble tinted screen

Telferizer yoke stem RAM mount (to attach GoPro, GPS, iPhone)

R&G Racing tail tidy with micro indicators and LED rear light

Proton Flushmount LED front indicators

Clear Stompgrip tank pads

R&G Racing bar ends

Smaller rear number plate (7"x5")

And here are the future mods under consideration, in no particular order.

1/ brake disc upgrade, looking at Brembo
2/ Brembo MC
3/ more carbon fibre parts
4/ Continental Sport Attack 2/3 tyres
5/ wheel change
6/ swing arm repaint
7/ Honda Racing rear seat cowl
8/ ECU flash/remap and dyno tune
9/ Akrapovic exhaust headers

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 15 May 2016 22:39

Ooh, I likey. I should probably update my thread at some point, but haven't really done much except repairs. Maybe when I get a new exhaust and re-map shortly. Why the upgrade on brake discs?

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 16 May 2016 07:48

I've said this before but I've done very little to mine. Do the replacement air filters so much? Also, I'm looking at replacing the massive indicators that came as standard on my year of bike. Any suggestions for the best place To get them? 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

cuj on 16 May 2016 08:20

Owain my simple reasoning behind the disc upgrade was three fold. Firstly I'd be upping the disc diameter from 310mm to 320mm increasing my stopping power. Secondly should I go down the route of a Brembo Master Cyclinder (which is highly likely and by all accounts will transform the braking performance) I'd have matching components. Thirdly the Brembo discs aren't significantly more expensive than the OEM parts. 

Andy, I'm not sure you'd feel any noticeable difference by upgrading the air filter, I just fancied it since it's not an expensive component. What bike is it you have, pretty sure you can source flush mounted indicators for most bikes that have stalks as standard.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

AndyJ on 16 May 2016 08:35

It's the k4. I'm not sure where I stand on the flush mounted ones, as they don't look that visible. 

Does the air-filter affect the sound Of the engine much? 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 16 May 2016 09:16

I put the Brembo master cylinder on mine, and it's much better now. Still not really up to the standard of modern stock brakes, but far better than it was. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

cuj on 16 May 2016 10:19

Andy, I didn't notice any change in engine note from the air filter, that said I've got a bloody loud Akrapovic so don't hear a lot except that! Let me know year of your bike and engine size and I'll have a dig around. You can also get micro indicators (LED or standard bulb type) I reckon.

Here you go, I'm assuming it's a 600cc 04/05 model.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-G-MOTORBIKE-LED-AERO-Micro-Indicators-FITS-Suzuki-GSX-R600-K4-2004-K4-/400811876036

Owain, that's really good to hear re the MC, backs up what I've researched into them. The annoying thing is that I'd have to get rid of my new ASV levers and get new brake lines if I do it. Pretty sure I can sell those on easily though.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

AndyJ on 16 May 2016 11:51

Nice. That's pretty much what I was after. I've already got the r&g crash bangs so will go well. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

cuj on 16 May 2016 19:18

So today's mod was a neat deletion of the original (and pig fugly) rear brake fluid reservoir. While there are numerous DIY solutions I went with the genuine HRC parts from Honda.

Here is how the rear brake res looks now, so much smarter than a big OEM reservoir with its thick black tubing!

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 17 May 2016 21:25

Is the brake res the weird green pipe? How does that work? Brake lines look sexy though. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

cuj on 17 May 2016 21:36

The green colour is simply the brake fluid (so I want some blue stuff in there!). In essence that is now my brake fluid reservoir as the rear brakes need so little fluid in them at any one time, plus I hardly ever use the rear anyway. It really tidies up the rear side from the original OEM res and thick black tubing. Will see if I can find a pic to show you a comparison.

Today I took on what turned out to be an absolutely mammoth task. I bought a HRC quick turn throttle which will enable me to get the bike on WOT a lot faster than I could with the OEM throttle. I had to strip down the whole bike to access the throttle cable housing, which meant removing all of the fairings, lifting the tank, removing air filter box and wiring loom. Had a number of hitches but nothing I couldn't overcome, thankfully. All back together again now and fu*k me does it rev fast! I'm so chuffed to have managed it since I'm not really a mechanic, but I'd attempt most things on a bike. Not ridden it yet as my throttle grip was a bit slippy, so was no point. But I have to pop out tomorrow so will try it then.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 17 May 2016 21:56

Yeah I'd be interested to know more about the res, never seen that before.

With the throttle though, aren't you running the risk of making it a hazard on the road? How does slow-speed riding work with a quick throttle? Not sure I'd like that.

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

cuj on 17 May 2016 22:05

Here you'll see the former OEM set up of the brake fluid res.

I removed my passenger pegs since they aren't needed, which meant the res and tubing was quite exposed and at risk of damage if I went down on that side. The new set up hides it away better, so it's a lot safer. You can cut the new tubing to your desired length, I went with the short test tube look.

It'll probably take a little time to get used to the new throttle, not to mention my new sprockets being fitted Friday (-1/+2). I'll be experiencing a very different power delivery, something which I really find lacking on track. The HRC kit brings on WOT in 1/6 of a turn - http://www.ukroadandrace.co.uk/CBR600RR-HRC-FAST-ACTION-THROTTLE-KIT I doubt it'll make it a 'hazard' to ride slowly since the R6 has a similar quick turn throttle as standard spec.

Out of interest Owain, how have you reattached throttle grips in the past (if you have). I got a tip to use hairspray, which I did, but I was wondering if there's anything else since that hasn't really 'set', yet.

cuj

Should get a life (184)

Southampton

Owain on 17 May 2016 22:19

I'll take a proper look through the links tomorrow, ta.

I used to use hairspray on my BMXs as a kid, for bikes I've always used superglue. Clean everything up beforehand, heat the grips up with a hot air gun then plenty of superglue. Just be careful not to let it run down your bodywork.

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

Owain on 18 May 2016 08:30

Hmm, definitely look interesting. However as I'm a girl I could probably do with a slower throttle in case I accidentally go fast. 

The pegs are a shame, the same goes for my Street Triple - I'll never use them, want them gone, but they're the only protection the exhaust has if I drop it; if they're not there then all the force is being transmitted all the way back to the headers. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 3

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020