You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

GSXR Track Build

Thumbs Up

Created by Owain on 29 Mar 2015 10:56

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:06

Okay, updates. Painted everything white, then tried being creative. Tail section masked up and some red thrown at it:

Same for the front end:

Tape removed, looking lovely.

Black vinyl tape and stickers applied to back end. 

Other stickers applied with tape, all put back together and good to go. More or less. 

Pretty happy with how it turned out TBH. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Owain on 06 May 2015 08:46

So after the first trackday it clearly needs a new exhaust (as the cat nearly set the belly pan on fire), and new brakes (because the stock ones simply aren't good enough). None of the parts have arrived yet, so just a strip down for now. 

Brakes - I started by disconnecting the lines at the calipers, then pumping the lever (having removed the lid of the reservoir) until no fluid was left. First up, undo the reservoir pipe:

Then it's just a case of undoing all the lines and bolts until you can remove the master cylinder. 

Then undo lines from the calipers and remove calipers from bike. Front wheel will now come off. 

Leave it there for now while you wait for pretty eBay parts to arrive. 

Exhaust was pretty easy - drain the radiator via the hoses, undo the small bolt at the bottom, fold it out the way with cable ties. 

Disconnect the two cables for the EXUP valve (no idea if these will be needed for the new exhaust, doubt it), and carefully remove the lambda sensor hoping it's not siezed.

Undo the hex bolts holding the headers to the head (they'll be rusted but not that tight, don't round them off), and the three bolts under the bike. Realise how heavy the stock exhaust is when it clatters to the floor. 

Do an oil change while you're here because why not, then get a beer and admire how, yet again, you've turned a perfectly good, working machine into a pile of useless parts. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Owain on 07 May 2015 20:37

New exhaust arrived today, have to figure out how this all goes together with the appalling instructions it comes with. They're basically just an outline drawing of it when it's finished, no info whatsoever. 

It didn't come with new bolts for the gaskets, so nipped to Screwfix to treat myself to some shiny new stainless ones. 

I figures out of my own accord that the old copper gaskets have to come out and the new exhaust doesn't use any, eventually got this little lot in. Copper slip on the mating surfaces, cleaned out inside and torqued up to 20nm.

Did a dry fit of it all first, then copped slip'd all the mating surfaces, then eventually (trial and error) figured out how it all went together. It was not a quick job. Looks good though:

It has a load of springs which keep it all held together, a couple are missing so I'll need to order those. The can needed a bit of forcing/bending to get it right into shape, but all went on okay:

Far more space underneath now, hopefully this one won't try to set fire to my fairing. 

Only problem is that currently there's an FI error on the dash due to the missing EXUP valve, but that can be fixed fairly easily at the weekend. 

Done an oil change while I'm at it, and full coolant flush and re-fill. Top up the fluids, start it up, all sounds rosy. 

Haven't given it the beans yet as it's late but couldn't hear any leaks, and it's mercifully quiet. Really didn't want something that was silly loud and would be a problem on trackdays. 

At the weekend I'll put it back together and if it's dry we'll see how well the fuelling deals with the new exhaust or if it'll need a re-map. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

ian7675 on 07 May 2015 21:28

Looks nice. I know nothing about bikes but I hope my compliment makes you feel good.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

Owain on 07 May 2015 21:29

It does,  thanks buddy. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 07 May 2015 21:30

Your pictures is nice. 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 07 May 2015 21:31

You're nice. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Owain on 08 May 2015 11:12

Just had this little fella turn up. Think that's everything I need now. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Owain on 10 May 2015 06:14

Boom, all done. Well, nearly. New MC in:

The RCS comes with a brake light switch (which is an optional fit, but as I still use this as a road bike I wanted it in), so that's just a case of doing whatever you can to connect the two wires to the two existing brake light wires. I put spade connectors on mine and did it properly. 

This is a "race" setup where you have two lines direct from the MC rather than going through a splitter, so the MC comes with a longer banjo bolt. New copper washers everywhere, all tightened up to 23nm as per Suzuki/Brembo.

Only problem with a full system is that you do away with the SET valve (which helps control emissions etc), this little bugger on the exhaust:

It's controlled by this little servo in the tail section and two steel cables:

The only problem with removing it is that now you'll have an error code c46 showing up (shows as FI on the dash, get the bike into dealer mode and it'll show c46), which you can't reset. 

After some serious Googling opinion seemed split on whether this would work, so I tried it. Under the seat, find the black connector going to the ECU:

Remove the connector, find pin 30 (black/brown, they're numbered) and simply cut it. Cut it in a place you could resolder it if you needed to. 

Turned on the ignition, sure enough the FI error had gone away. However, thought for a minute I'd screwed something as now the fuel light was flashing. 

After some extensive investigation, it turned out I had no fuel. Topped it up, light goes off. Handy fix for you there if you ever have the problem. 

Bleeding the brakes was hell and took well over two hours. So tedious, but I'd been warned by one of the racers at Snetterton that it could easily take six hours to get it done, so that was weirdly reassuring. 

Took the bike out for a tentative ride, bedded in he brakes in an industrial estate (three or four heavy brakings from a reasonable speed), got some heat into them and gotta say - they're awesome. I even had to come home and add some more compression damping because the front was now diving too much. There's still some air in the system (which will always happen, just re-bleed after the vibration of a ride sends the bubbles up to the top), so I'll get that bled out. All-in-all though, they're awesome. Far more confidence in them, and they do feel like they're actually going to stop me now. 

As for the exhaust, that's pretty awesome too. Exactly what I was after - not silly chav loud, but sounds nice (not dissimilar to the standard can) but more throaty, a bit more lairy, and although it might be in my mind it does seem a little more torquey lower down; I'm sure it used to struggle at 30mph in 3rd gear, now it can handly it in 4th. 

So that's all nice. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Daveyboy on 23 Oct 2015 08:38

Well done Owen ;)

Daveyboy

Forum Noob (11)

Owain on 23 Oct 2015 08:38

DAVE!

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Steve954 on 23 Oct 2015 19:07

Still trying to figure out what track bike the buy!

Steve954

Should get a life (142)

Norwich

Owain on 23 Oct 2015 20:08

Panigale 1198 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Steve954 on 23 Oct 2015 20:22

I suppose it would be good to have! Would need to steal it though ;)

Steve954

Should get a life (142)

Norwich

Owain on 25 Oct 2015 10:28

Plus you'd forever think it's broken because of the noise it makes when idling. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

1 - 2 + 2

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020