You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Honda CM200T Restoration

Thumbs Up

Created by Owain on 15 Sep 2014 20:27

Owain on 15 Sep 2014 20:27

Had this one a little while but never bothered a project thread, guess I should put the effort in. I bought this cheeky little 1981 Honda CM200T when I went into the local bike shop to pick up some paddock stand bobbins. 35k miles, only two owners from new. Started on the electric start first time from cold, ridiculous. They had it up at £600, I gave them £500, job done. 

It was exactly what I'd been looking for - something cheap, easy to work on, mechanically sound but in need of some TLC. The previous owner had put a ridiculous amount of effort into the engine (he's noted every oil change he'd ever done), but it doesn't look like it'd been cleaned since it left the factory. New enough to be metric, new enough that parts are still available, old enough to be a piece of cake to work on. After its first rinse:

Front forks were working okay but it's all fairly shabby:

Clocks showing their age, plenty that can be painted up here. 

Winner of the "most inappropriately juxtaposed tax holder in history" award.

Front mudguard is knackered, clearly had water stuck between the two parts at some point, that's a bugger. 

Gonna replace this lot now thin wall cable and less unwieldy connectors are available.

First disassemble and scrub down, so much black crap everywhere. 

After its first proper scrub, can actually see what it all does now:

Chain before:

Chain after:

Front end off for some loving:

Sexy new paint on some of the panels, just a rush job for now. Panels aren't perfect so if I care that much I'll buy replacements for a few quid and spend more time on the paint:

Knowing full well how long I drag these projects out for, I've been ridiculously organised on nuts and bolts.

Front end cleaned, struts resprayed, new cables:

Plasti-Dip on the guages and light, look like new:

And then I stopped to tidy up my nuts and bolts into my new handy drawers. This was probably the highlight of my year. 

All Dymo'd up and everything. That should make the rebuild significantly quicker. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 15 Sep 2014 21:33

Different. You need an old-school, open-faced lid, to ride it. 

What was the word on the gixxer? You getting it back anytime soon? 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 15 Sep 2014 21:37

One reply in and you want to derail my thread?! Brutal. No, no word.

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 15 Sep 2014 21:54

Appologies.   I'm secretly  marvelling over your meticulous organisation skills, and keen eye to detail when cleaning your bike components. 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 15 Sep 2014 21:55

More pics of carefully organised nuts and bolts are available on request.

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 15 Sep 2014 21:57

I request a pic of your nuts. 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 18 Sep 2014 09:28

Your wish is my command. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 18 Sep 2014 13:11

You dirty bugger. 

If love to Mucky them up. 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 18 Sep 2014 13:12

I bloody bet you would. Bet you'd sneak a cheeky nylock into the standard nuts compartment.

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Owain on 18 Sep 2014 13:48

Moooar updates. Front end rebuilt, much better tax disc holder for the next 12 days until it's no longer a legal requirement:

Front brake adjusted using the industry-standard "punching bag on the back of the bike to get the front wheel off the floor" method.

Old vs new levers

Old horn

New horn:

Shiny bits and new ignition switch:

Old mirrors:

New shiny mirrors and tidy bits

All electrics are back in and working, with the exception of the indicators. Realised when I put them back on that they're only using one wire, which means they're relying on a chassic earth. As I've now painted the indicator brackets, no doubt they can't get an earth anymore. Need to run a wire or get a connection through somehow, but no biggie. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 18 Sep 2014 15:13

"Punching" bag. Loflflolf msnjjd

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

AndyJ on 18 Sep 2014 15:14

Looking good, tho. You don't fuck around, do you? 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 18 Sep 2014 23:59

You only say that because you're not aware these photos have been taken over the course of six months or so. The reassembly was this week, rest has sat as it was for an age. 

But no. I'm all over this. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 19 Sep 2014 01:12

Like a violent moss? 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 19 Sep 2014 10:03

Very much so.

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 2

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020