You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

New car

Thumbs Up

Created by AndyJ on 22 Apr 2015 20:06

AndyJ on 22 Apr 2015 20:06

ok, we're getting a new car. Admittedly it won't be until November, next year. We've pretty much settled on an s-line Audo Avante 2010 model, but let's have some fun anyway. 

We're speneding around 10k. has to have two decent rear seats. About 2l-2.5l and no more than about 80k on the clock. Any other thoughts, or just randomness? 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

ian7675 on 22 Apr 2015 20:38

The wife and I had the exact same criteria a couple of years ago. We decided to choose between a 3 series touring or an Audi A4. We test drove them and the BMW was a better drivers car without a doubt.

Audi plus points were a smoother engine at low speeds, more comfortable seats. Bad points were the pedals are way too off centre so a manual was out of the question. Also the steering is way too light.

BMW plus points were a better driver feel, better handling, smoother power delivery. Bad points were the engines sound like tractors at idle and there is a fair amount of vibration through the gear stick at idle but these cars are made to be driven not sat still.

our conclusion was if we were doing mega mileage on motorways then an Automatic Audi would be good but for everyday use including a better drivers car then the BMW is the one to go for so that's what we ended up getting. A woman would probably prefer a front wheel drive Audi though.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

AndyJ on 22 Apr 2015 21:02

For me the Audi wins that every time, purely for the fact I've worked around BMWs for over fifteen-years, so I'm just completey bored of them. . .

I know it's only face value, but I personally think the Audi is a much better looking car. And, because I'm a vain mother-fucker, looks seal the deal. Just. 

I have veered slightly off on a tangent and started looking at, ermm, skylines. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 09:46

(Because this is Andy's thread we'll just assume that an "Audo Avante" is an Audi Avant and move on)

I agree that the BMW is probably better as a driver's car, but I just think Audis look better - especially the newer cars. I can't even tell which BMW is which anymore, they all just look like the same fat mess. Very good cars though, just prefer the Audi. 

What are you look at getting Andy? A4? A6? A8?

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

ian7675 on 23 Apr 2015 10:05

Although I think Audos look bland (which is why my company use them for management), for the age/mileage you're looking at the Audo would probably be cheaper to run. I will never buy a BMW out of its warranty any more as slight niggles cost a fortune. 

How ow many miles do you do Andy? If it's less than 15k you'd be better off getting a petrol car, maybe a Skoda VRS or something?

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:08

Yeah gotta say, I do so few miles these days that if I didn't need to tow I'd probably just get a petrol. Drove a normally-aspirated petrol the other day for the first time in years, I'd completely forgotten what it was like to have power throughout the rev range and not have to change gears every five seconds. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 23 Apr 2015 10:09

My screens still cracked,so I can't see typos!! 

Its mainly for he Mrs, She probably does about 8-9k a year.

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:14

Buy a Ka for £500 then

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

ian7675 on 23 Apr 2015 10:30

Good shout on the KA, maybe consider a Toyata IQ or Smort Car?

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:30

Bicycle

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 23 Apr 2015 10:31

Settled M5 it is. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:32

Good choice. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 23 Apr 2015 10:37

Nice. I'd actually love a blast on one of these. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:37

I'm sure she'll let you have a go if you ask nicely. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

Owain on 23 Apr 2015 10:38

£2400 to save you Googling. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 2

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020