You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Celica vvti

Thumbs Up

Created by Cjwatson27 on 19 Nov 2014 21:06

Cjwatson27 on 19 Nov 2014 21:06

With my gti6 in the workshop in loads of bits, I got a celica vvti very very cheap its has a few issues but i do quite like driving it. One problem I'm looking for help with is its strange handling, it kind of follows any contours in the road and really pulls if you hit puddles abit like if your ball joints are fooked or bottom arm bushes. Think is ive fitted lower ball joints with no joy i also had a mechanic give it a good looking over and a MOT and he says theres no play anywhere. He recomended fitting poly bushes to the bottom arms. What do you guys think i though poly bushes were a no no 

any help appreciated thanks Chris 

Cjwatson27

Should get a life (148)

Oxford

ian7675 on 19 Nov 2014 21:35

I've had cars do this before and it's been either aftermarket alloys or tyre choice. They really can make a big difference.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

Owain on 19 Nov 2014 21:50

Yeah bushes, buckled wheels or it's a terrible car I reckon. Bushes would be my first port of call, anything rubber needs replacing in cars of that age. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Cjwatson27 on 19 Nov 2014 22:16

To be fair it is on a full set of hi fly tyres so that could be the issue .

the bushes all seemed fine apparently he recomended poly bushes to firm it up a bit thing is bushes aint cheap for it so i dont want to waste money on them if it makes it worst 

thanks for the help any more ideas welcome 

Cjwatson27

Should get a life (148)

Oxford

Owain on 19 Nov 2014 22:25

Definitely put decent tyres on before anything else, get the wheels properly balanced while you're there. They can also check for trueness of the wheels while they're there. 

Start with the unsprung weight, then work your way into the car from there. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Cjwatson27 on 19 Nov 2014 22:31

Hmm from what you guys are suggesting i think it might be the wheels they've been balance recently but it would make sense there quite beat up and have budget tyres fitted 

ill order some new wheels and tyre it needs some bigger ones anyway there lost in its arches 

thanks 

Cjwatson27

Should get a life (148)

Oxford

Owain on 20 Nov 2014 08:43

Balancing is only making the best of a bad job, if the wheels aren't straight and the tyres are shit there's no amount of wheel weights that'll sort it. 

Even my Mondeo had crappy budgets all round and was understeering and moving about all over the place. Put some decent Conti's on it, it handles like a different car. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Steve954 on 20 Nov 2014 17:33

Get the allingment set up properly! I'm not talking about a back street set up either it will transform the car.

quick google show that the rear of the car can be adjusted, this is overlooked on a lot of cars!

Steve954

Should get a life (142)

Norwich

Owain on 20 Nov 2014 18:40

True dat, a proper four-wheel alignment with camber, caster and toe makes a world of difference. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Cjwatson27 on 20 Nov 2014 19:03

Yeah think I'll get it setup once ive swapped the wheels, it's got rear camber adjustment on it and the back wheels have a lot of camber since a lowered it 

whats a good road tyre i was going to get toyo t1r s for it has thats what ive got on the gti6, ?

thanks 

Cjwatson27

Should get a life (148)

Oxford

Owain on 20 Nov 2014 19:39

Toyo do not make good road tyres. 

What are you planning on using the car for?

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Cjwatson27 on 20 Nov 2014 20:00

Just road at the moment, I'm toying with the idea of whacking some upgraded arb on it and possibly doing a couple of track days in it well the Peugeots off the road, it's not the quickest of things but its got a good seating position and handles quite well even on shit tyres. So I guess road and hopefully 1 or 2 track days 

Cjwatson27

Should get a life (148)

Oxford

Owain on 20 Nov 2014 20:03

I put Continental Sport Contacts on the Pug, they were great on the road and also served me a good few trackdays. Put the same on the Mondeo now, do everything you could want. I'd see what their owners' club recommend though, sure someone will have found something that works. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

Cjwatson27 on 20 Nov 2014 20:08

All of the owners clubs are shit if your not doing a £8000 turbo build or fitting a body kit with suicide doors there not interested plus most of the English speaking sites are run by yanks 

Cjwatson27

Should get a life (148)

Oxford

Owain on 20 Nov 2014 20:09

Ha! Won't be going to any meets any time soon then?

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 4

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020