You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Aurora Borealis

Thumbs Up

Created by AndyJ on 02 Jan 2018 23:48

AndyJ on 02 Jan 2018 23:48

Anyone  tried to chase them down? 

It's one of things thats been on my bucket list for years, but because of my anxiety problems and fear of flying I've never got any further than just day dreaming.

Long story very short: I've had a lot of help over the last few years and I'm at a place where I could now fly, blaaa, blaaa, blaaaa and since this years my 40th we thought we'd plan a road trip around Iceland to try and see the lights. 

We've looked at a few options but pretty sure we're going to fly to Reykavik and stay there for a night; then hire a 4*4 and drive to The Golden Circle, then stay in one of the smaller villages on the south cost.

We know you're not 100% guaranteed to see the  Lights, so we thought we'd do it all ourselves by road so we can stop and take in the scenery when we want. (I've got a few stunning photo locations planned already!)

So,  anyone been? 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

Owain on 03 Jan 2018 09:01

I went to Iceland when I was a kid and the entire place is awesome, northern lights or not. Mate of mine went recently and didn't get to see them either, but again said Iceland is fantastic. I went to Norway in 2015 and didn't see them then. 

Whale-watching and Northern Lights are the two riskiest things to do, as they're both expensive and impossible to predict. In saying that, Iceland is so awesome that you wouldn't regret going as long as you go do some tours. 

It's seriously expensive though, think £100 for a basic meal for two. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 03 Jan 2018 10:56

Yeh, I've spoken to a few people and know it's expensive to eat and drink, that's all accounted for. 

It's as much for the scenery, so although i'd be gutted if I didn't see the lights, it'd still be an amazing place to visit. 

We were also thinking about Norway. Where did you stay/visit? I haven't got as far as looking at places to see. 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

jsoulman on 03 Jan 2018 11:06

Ah man I would love to go as it looks amazing. Was looking at trips away but it requires a lot of saving. 

jsoulman

Loser (1193)

Owain on 03 Jan 2018 12:01

We drove up Norway, essentially. Flew to Oslo, couple of days there then rented a car and drove up to Trondheim, then flew to Tromso and rented another car. Whole place is awesome, but we tried fitting in too much and it became a bit of a slog at points. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2868)

Chelmsford

ian7675 on 03 Jan 2018 16:45

I turned 40 in August, I have actually changed now. I really do feel like life has begun as the old cliche goes, I'm more focused on enjoying life and setting us up for the future more than ever. Sorry to go off topic, would also love to go somewhere like that. Next christmas we are planning on going to the Polish mountains as it's guaranteed snow and looks beautiful up there. 

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

AndyJ on 03 Jan 2018 18:55

I'm completely with you, Ian. I hook up with my oldest mates once a month, which gets a bit messy, but the rest of the time I'm so content just getting on with life, whether it be work (which I actually enjoy), or just kicking back with the Mrs watching Tv.

I'd love to go see some of the old Mesomerica temples, as well and, at some point do the Inca trail, but not sure I could be doing with the long flight. 

Something I've recently got geeky about is bridges. From an engineering and Photographic point of view, they really fascinate me, at the moment. Rhe  next few breaks we on I'm purposely taking de-tours to get some pics. Happy days!! Ha! 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

jsoulman on 03 Jan 2018 19:12

Fucking hell I though I was the grandad of the group but you lot are worse than me and I'm 37. In recent years I have taken a keen interest in grandfather clocks, quaint little China tea cups, antique chess sets and this Christmas I got me and my girlfriend a load of jigsaw puzzles to do.

I rarely drink now, have done my best to give up weed so I can save money, and am more focused on my health and wellbeing than I have ever been. Lost 2 stone in a few months, eat well, avoid caffeine (except on a Sunday morning)... I am really struggling with the weed thing though, I'm not sure I enjoy anything sober and im less productive. 

It's my sisters 40th today though.. I still remember my dads, we played monopoly.. 

Actually reading that back I'm defo worse. 

jsoulman

Loser (1193)

AndyJ on 03 Jan 2018 19:30

I was looking at Grandfather clocks late night! I kid you not!!!  I know what you mean with the weed thing, I'm definitely more productive around the house when I've had a smoke, the money's not really am issue as I have good contacts, so there's no real incentive to stop. . . 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

ian7675 on 03 Jan 2018 19:36

Andy I'm massively interested in bridges too and how they are built, always wanted to go and see that immense one in the south of France.

jsoulman, pah  you're just a puppy at 37.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

jsoulman on 03 Jan 2018 19:55

We have a nice bridge in Bristol if you're interested ha. Actually it is pretty beautiful. That one in France in nuts! 

Andy - how much do you smoke? I spend a few hundred a month on weed, and if I still have money left at the end of the month it will go on weed. However I used to spend that on going out at weekends, so now without both I should be able to save a lot. 

jsoulman

Loser (1193)

ian7675 on 03 Jan 2018 20:10

Clifton bridge is actually really interesting I think. Landmark for Bristol, have you seen that creepy cardboard cutout of Brunel in that window as you approach Bristol on the Portway...he's always watching you.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

jsoulman on 03 Jan 2018 20:15

With his top hat on? I'm pretty sure I've seen it but I see him in windows all the time round eer. 

jsoulman

Loser (1193)

ian7675 on 03 Jan 2018 20:17

Yeah that's the one. Shifty looking fella.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

AndyJ on 04 Jan 2018 07:58

We’ve just been down to Cheddar and I meant to come back via the Clifton Bridge, but I was still getting over that horrible flu everyone seems to have had, so just came straight home. Was actually gutted. 

AndyJ

Loser (2227)

1 - 1 + 2

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020