You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Andy Kaufman

Thumbs Up

Created by jsoulman on 18 Dec 2017 19:36

jsoulman on 18 Dec 2017 19:36

Everyone seems to be talking about him again since 'Jim and Andy' appeared on Netflix. I havent watched it yet but heard its really good and I love the movie 'Man on the Moon'. What do you guys think about Andy Kaufman? And do you reckon he is still alive? I think he is one of the greatest performers ever, the original troll and Tony Clifton  is one of my favourite characters ever created. I doubt Andy faked his own death, despite various hoax's about him still being alive etc but part of me hopes he is still alive and well somewhere. 

Do you two, three or four now is it? like him? His Elvis is killer!! 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

ian7675 on 18 Dec 2017 22:22

I have no clue what you're on about.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

jsoulman on 18 Dec 2017 22:52

Andy Kaufman was a comedian/performer back in the 70's and 80's. He took on different personas to the point where no one knew who he really was and if he was serious or not. He took up professional wrestling but only faught women (and won) just to piss people off.  He also had a character called Tony Clifton (sometimes played by someone else just to confuse people), a drunk club singer who was really rude and would cause trouble. Kaufman did loads of pranks on TV shows during live filming and no one ever knew if they were staged or not. Then when he died of cancer in th 80's people werent sure if he faked his death because he used to say that he was going to fake his own death. Jim Carey plays Kaufman in the film 'Man on the Moon' which is about Andy Kaufmans life and career etc. Jim Carey was method acting and took Kaufmans persona with him all the time and he gets pretty serious about it. 'Jim and Andy' is a documentary on Netflix about the making of 'Man on the Moon' and shows how nuts Jim Carey goes aparantly. I've not seen it yet but cant wait to watch it. 

Anyway, now you have lots of exciting comedy to discover and opinions to create.. 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

Owain on 19 Dec 2017 09:01

All I know is he got a mention in that REM song. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

jsoulman on 19 Dec 2017 10:21

I highly recommend watching Man on the Moon. I think it came out when everyone was a bit bored of Carey and over looked it,  but it's an awesome movie. Worth checking out some of Andy performances first though so you get the idea of what he's like. 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

Owain on 19 Dec 2017 10:50

I shall do that. Genuinely. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

jsoulman on 19 Dec 2017 11:15

You'll enjoy it im sure. It's crazy to see how much he influenced comedy yet he hardly ever told a joke. 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

AndyJ on 19 Dec 2017 13:25

I'd never heard of him until

i watched the Jim Carrey Documentary. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

1 - 1 + 1

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020