You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Apple computer advice

Thumbs Up

Created by AndyJ on 10 Sep 2014 10:31

AndyJ on 10 Sep 2014 10:31

Ok, so I guess this is mostly aimed at oWain, as I know he knows more than anyone knows, about computers. 

I've brushed on this in the past but want an apple computer (Mac?)

I mainly want it for using photo shop on, but would like to run some music programmes on it, at a later date. 

I haven't even started looking, yet, as I don't even know what I'm looking at, but wondered  if anybody could shed some light on the best, (if there is a best) system to go for, or at least a starting point. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 10 Sep 2014 12:39

I know very little about Macs these days, but depending on where in Birmingham you're in one of my best mates is the store manager at AT Computers in Shrewsbury, an Apple reseller. He knows his stuff and I'm sure could sort you out a deal. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

rikky on 10 Sep 2014 15:50

what's your budget?

rikky

Forum Pikey (145)

Cheshire

AndyJ on 10 Sep 2014 16:00

I don't have a budget. I still haven't checked how much I will need, minimum. 

Ok, just had a quick Look. Am I right in saying the MacBook, is just Apples version of a laptop. (Don't laugh, I really am clueless about computers)

They seem to start around 700 notes. I'm guessing the more you pay, the quicker the machine,  and biger monitor?

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 10 Sep 2014 16:02

Basically yes, a MacBook is just Apple's laptop. They now only do two versions - the lower-spec, smaller, MacBook Air and the more expensive MacBook Pro. I suspect the Air will do everything you're after. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 10 Sep 2014 16:07

Right, excellent, I have a starting point. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

jsoulman on 11 Sep 2014 11:01

Come on Cohagan, you got what you wanted give those people a mac air! It's a lot of money to spend for use of photoshop and music software.  Macs are good for this kinda shit though and are what I used to use for design and music etc, and they are very user friendly. Saying that I don't think I would buy another mac ever again. Not telling you to spend your money but you could probably get something cheaper that's just as capable for what you want to do. 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

AndyJ on 11 Sep 2014 11:13

I know what you mean, soulman, but a normal PC laptop would just do my head in. I have zero computer skills, and it would send me insane with them always slowing down, getting virus' and stuff. 

I'm more than happy to pay apple prices, for a product that 'just works' 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 11 Sep 2014 11:14

I can confirm that Andy has no computer skills

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

jsoulman on 11 Sep 2014 11:14

Also how often do you reckon you will be photoshopping? Ever used it before? Bare in mind if you are just touching up your own photos,  or adding nicholas cages face to everything that the novelty might ware off after a month or so and you will be left with a very expensive paper weight. 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

AndyJ on 11 Sep 2014 11:15

Are you referring to the 'login fiasco' cry

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 11 Sep 2014 11:16

I have no idea what you mean Andy laughing

If you just need basic editing facilities, try Pixlr - online, free, and very good. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 11 Sep 2014 11:17

I have a dslr that I use a lot, but never had my own version of Photoshop. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

jsoulman on 11 Sep 2014 11:17

Well if you are willing to pay then you won't be disappointed. 

jsoulman

Loser (1182)

Owain on 11 Sep 2014 11:17

Bear in mind you can't actually buy Photoshop anymore. It's called Creative Cloud and you pay monthly for a licence instead, I much prefer it. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2862)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 3

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020