You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

Suspension setup

Thumbs Up

Created by AndyJ on 28 Sep 2016 22:21

AndyJ on 28 Sep 2016 22:21

Owain, and any other bikers that still drop by. Do you set the suspension up yourselves? Doesn't like like the hardest job, just trial and error. I think it's common knowledge that I'm not the most hands on, when it comes to mechanical tinkering, so just wondered how you got on the first time you had a mess around with different settings. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 29 Sep 2016 12:31

I'm terrible at suspension, you can do it yourself to a degree but a pro will do it better. I just crank up preload when carrying more weight, and soften it when not. 

For a sports bike with fully-adjustable forks, I'd take it somewhere to get the sag and such done properly. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 29 Sep 2016 12:54

Yeh, That's what I thought. Looks like quite a precise job. I'm sure the front end is to soft, but don't know if it's just me. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 29 Sep 2016 12:55

If it's too soft, add preload - that's the easy one. Keep adding it until you feel like it's skipping over jumps rather than absorbing them, then dial it back a bit. 

Compress the forks, then let them bounce up - if it takes more than a second to settle them you need more rebound damping. 

There are a few internet guides, but setting your sag is the first thing to do but requires a second person. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 30 Sep 2016 07:24

I've read through a few of the guides, and although there's a lot going on, it all seems fairly straight forward. I think I'll look at getting someone in he know to go over it with me, though. 

Slightly off on a tangent, when I bought the R1 it didn't have the baffles in the exhaust. I've mentioned already the rumble the exhaust produced and although nice at the time, I've git a bit bored of it. I put them back in, yesterday, and went for a quick blast and got to say it actually feels a lot better with them in. It's kind of killed the "character" of the engine note, but it feels like it's pulling harder and the throttle seems a lot smootyer. I'd be interested to see if this is true, or just in my head. 

AndyJ

Loser (2217)

Owain on 30 Sep 2016 08:20

Any exhaust changes (baffles etc) should really be backup up with a re-map. In reality just a baffle or end can shouldn't really *need* one, but an engine will never run as well as in the configuration is was designed for, which was probably with the baffle in. Whilst loud exhausts are fun at first, they do get pretty tiring on longer trips and I used to hate coming home late on my SV for fear of pissing off the neighbours or being "that guy". 

Definitely worth getting the suspension done properly, I want to do it on my track bike next year as I've heard people say it's like night and day having it done properly. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2861)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 1

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2020