You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

ALDI Motorcycle Gear

Thumbs Up

Created by Owain on 21 Feb 2015 09:32

Owain on 21 Feb 2015 09:32

Anyone ever tried it? Might be okay for base layers and such, not sure I'd ever bring myself to trust the jacket or gloves though. 

Available 8th March

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 22 Feb 2015 09:40

I've thought the same thing. The bycylce gear was pretty good . I had base layers, winter gloves and a few other bits, for next to nothing, and have lasted a good few years. 

I'd be a bit dubious about the motorcycle protective gear. There was a motorcycle helmet for about 40 quid, At one point. Hmmm. . . 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 22 Feb 2015 10:36

No chance. That's the kinda thing you might buy so your mates could have a go on your bike in a field, sod taking it on the road. I know people would say "oh but it's passed all the same standards", but I don't think people realise how low those standards really are compared with how good some of the gear is. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 22 Feb 2015 10:52

I couldn't agree more. My first helmet, which cost about 100 quid and  I still have from about eighteen years as ago, is a world apart from my 550 pound Arai, with regards to finish, build quality, comfort, noise reduction, and generally just a much much better piece of equipment. 

My point, really, is, I'd never scrimp on safety gear, regardless of what safety tests they've passed.

Maybe me being a bit vain, as well, but I don't see the point of having these beautiful super sports bikes and riding around on them in cheap attire. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 22 Feb 2015 12:03

Yeah other than the base layers, don't really see me interested in anything. They'd be good for some 16-year-old who can't afford thousands of pounds on gear as it'll be better than riding around in jeans and a cheap leather jacket, but that's all really. 

As you say, the cheaper stuff is really poorly fitted and doesn't really tend to look that great. I need sturdy gear which can successfully strap my gut in.

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 22 Feb 2015 13:44

Yeh, I don't really have an issue with a gut, being the svelt, athletic figure I am. 

We're currently at a lodge, in Glossop., on the outskirts  of the Peak-district,  Pretty much the middle of no where. Stunning scenery, and some nice roads. From what we've seen. (We've spent the last to days in the outdoor hot-tub, drink Champage, and watching films. Life is good!)

said if we do it again, it's be nice to ride up on the bike. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 23 Feb 2015 09:05

That sounds slightly better than being sat at my desk working, I will admit.

I've started looking at organised motorcycle tours. They look like really good fun and I like the idea of someone else sorting the details, but damn some of them are expensive. Hmm.

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 23 Feb 2015 12:57

The Mrs was telling me of one that you spent two months on the road.  They follow in a bus, and other vehicles, with all your gear, which you could also have a break in if you got tired of being on a bike,  staying at the plushest of hotels on the way.

It was about £7000 all in, so not something you'd be doing every year. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 23 Feb 2015 12:59

Yeah a few of them are like that - you fly out to Sicily or somewhere, rent a bike, the hotels are booked, food is paid for, you follow a guide or GPS and all your luggage is taken care of by the support truck. Very tempting, but very expensive. This month's Bike magazine has a pull-out listing a few of the options. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

ian7675 on 23 Feb 2015 13:10

Doesn't that take the fun out of it? Like making it up as you go and roughing it is part of the appeal isn't it?

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

Owain on 23 Feb 2015 13:16

Depends, I'd say the two are as different as "let's go to Blackpool" vs "let's go to Disneyland" - you know which one you fancy, and you're unlikely to be convinced otherwise. I'd certainly enjoy a holiday where I camped out and made it up as I went along, but no way in hell would I just go and do that in a foreign country I had no experience of. 

Charley Boorman and Ewan McGregor make it look very easy, because they had support trucks, teams of people in offices back home and fixers in every country. Without that, the only countries I'd ever feel comfortable with just going to and hoping for the best are France, Spain and maybe Italy, and you could argue that they're not exactly roughing it. 

Wonderful as the image is of camping under the stars every night and living the adventure, I suspect the reality could be very different. Soaked, cold, in a country you don't know, having hit a pothole and buckled a wheel in a country whose language I don't speak isn't really my idea of a holiday. 

The guided holidays are absolutely no stress - pay someone else to worry about it. I'm just not the kind of person who is going to throw caution to the wind, flee the country with nothing but a motorcycle and a passport and hope for the best. Maybe as you built up confidence in it you'd get more adventurous. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

ian7675 on 23 Feb 2015 13:30

Mmmmmmmmmm Blackpool! The place where dreams are made.

ian7675

Techno Viking (951)

Owain on 23 Feb 2015 13:30

I certainly would not go camping in Blackpool.

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

Owain on 23 Feb 2015 13:30

Although even staying in its best hotels probably counts as "roughing it".

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 23 Feb 2015 13:46

Not sure I'd get on with 'roughing it' I like my creature comforts to much. 

I'm also toying with getting a new bike. How does it work if you have finance? Can you transfer it over to another bike? 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

1 - 1 + 2

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2022