You have unread private messages

Club Logo Club Logo

I am now a biker

Thumbs Up

Created by jamiek_uk2000 on 09 Jan 2015 23:24

jamiek_uk2000 on 09 Jan 2015 23:24

After a quite large amount of money I have my full bike license.  I've got my KTM 350 EXC on the road but after repeatedly saying that I would not buy a proper road bike, I want a proper road bike.  

I'm looking at something naked, street style about 6/700.  I have been looking at a KTM Duke, but it's a single cylinder and I want a twin ideally so it's a bit more comfortable when cruising.  Ideas people?

jamiek_uk2000

Not-so Noob (54)

AndyJ on 09 Jan 2015 23:29

Get a car. Bikes are fucking dangerous. 

But, I want an a Apprilia Tuono, as my next bike. Full on fuck you on the cunt shit, bollocks. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

jamiek_uk2000 on 09 Jan 2015 23:40

I've got my Vivaro for work and weekends, plus I've got the 306 track toy, the 350 for off road and I think I just want more toys :)

jamiek_uk2000

Not-so Noob (54)

jamiek_uk2000 on 09 Jan 2015 23:41

And yes they are dangerous, I've learnt that just from my lessons and that's about 15 hours on the road.  People are fucking retarded when it comes to bikes.  The amount that think they can just cut up bikes and not give a fuck is insane

jamiek_uk2000

Not-so Noob (54)

jamiek_uk2000 on 09 Jan 2015 23:52

That Aprilia looks nice fair play, with a V4 1100 I bet it goes alright aswell :)

jamiek_uk2000

Not-so Noob (54)

Owain on 10 Jan 2015 08:35

Ha! Good boy, another one for the club. Just take it slowly and be careful, I've only been riding eighteen months and I still feel like a total novice. I hope you've bought yourself plenty of safety gear young man!

My first bike was an SV650S, they also do a non-S naked version IIRC, worth checking out. 

Honda CB500F is an extremely good bike, looks good, twin, reasonably priced. 

Congratulations!

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

jamiek_uk2000 on 10 Jan 2015 12:09

I do like the look of the sv650 and your correct they do it naked. 

Not too keen on the cbf, looks a bit dated IMO. 

I got plenty of safety gear from my last bike, body armour, boots helmet goggles etc. Think I'm going to but new jacket and trousers, I'm a bit larger than I was when I was 21!

jamiek_uk2000

Not-so Noob (54)

Owain on 12 Jan 2015 09:13

You should get an MT-09, oh yes you should.

One little hint, if you're going to be riding a lot don't bother buying new cheap gear. I've only been riding for a year and a half and I've already owned two pairs of trousers as one fell apart, and I have three jackets (summer, waterproof and leather) - if you bought yourself one decent set (Gore-tex preferably) you don't have to be constantly changing kit with the weather - it'll do you winter and summer in one setup. 

Is expensive though. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

AndyJ on 12 Jan 2015 09:36

Is is expensive getting all the gear. I spent the best part of £1500 on my helmet/leathers etc. it can be doe alot cheaper, but I wnated to get decent stuff. Probably sound a bit vain, but I didn't see the point of having this beautiful sports bike, and then riding it with cheap gear. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

AndyJ on 12 Jan 2015 09:36

And, as oWain says, it s like with anything else in life: buy cheap, but twice. 

AndyJ

Loser (2229)

Owain on 12 Jan 2015 10:14

Makes a big difference to how much you ride as well. It was below about 8° all day yesterday and with a decent jacket, base layers, good gloves and heated grips I could ride around all day without being cold, even at 70mph. If I only had thin nasty gear no way would I have been out for hours. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

jamiek_uk2000 on 15 Jan 2015 17:03

If you rode around at 70mph for hours my bike would explode!  I've got Alpinestar boots and Troy Lee helmet which set me back about £600, but they are both motocross/enduro stuff.  I don't really buy good trousers for off road anymore cos even the £200 get ripped on branches so just get the £80 Shift stuff, does me fine but I have a set for winter and summer since there is hell of a difference. 

Once I get a road bike, then I imagine I'll get a whole new set of road gear, motocross boots are far too big and cumbersome for the road.  I am a firm believer in buying quality, it's what is going to keep your bones and skin together if you crash.  Same as people who buy budget tyres, they are the only thing connecting that tonne of metal to the fucking road you tight bastard, why scrimp on that!

jamiek_uk2000

Not-so Noob (54)

Owain on 15 Jan 2015 17:04

Exactamundo. 

Plus - more comfortable you are, the more time you'll spend in it. 

Owain

Forum Nob (2874)

Chelmsford

1 - 1 + 1

Are you sure you wish to lock this discussion?

Are you sure you wish to unlock this discussion?

Edit dat?

Deleting your post eh? Drunk were we?

Are you sure you wish to delete this entire discussion?

0 online users
The views and opinions expressed on this site are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the club, its creators, moderators or other members.

Club Logo

© Gti7.Club 2022